Sunday, June 27, 2010

Let me explain

I'm sure most people have taken or will take the ACT or some form of college placement test. These are not exactly a walk in the park, and most peopl spend hours, days, and weeks preparing for them. Let me apply some test taking to real life.

I decided to take my ACT just after graduating. I needed to desperately prepare for the math section so I went to the library and started to read. After some undefinably boring hours or maybe minutes, I decided that this stuff seemed as though it should be common sense. Besides I had taken math classes two years ago, and that should be enough to remember what would be on the test.

Forty eight hours after my graduation I was seated in a stone or wooden desk (it was so ugly and hard I couldn't determine what it was constructed of) starting a test I had done very little to prepare for. I suffered through several sections and could only pray I guessed correctly on several more questions than I care to confess. I got lucky and received a decent score if you consider how I'll prepared I'd been. But we can't count on luck... Not in the eternal scheme.

Life is like one giant prep time for the final ACT. We have our whole lives to ready ourselves and then we'll be done. Our test isn't full of multiple choice questions or essays, but an interview or review at the judgment bar. There is not luck there. Ony what we did to prepare. How serious did you take the command to study, to live charitably, to not judge, to serve, did you use the atonement? What if life ended today or the second coming occurred? You, yes whoever you are are that's reading this, have had your entire life up to this moment to study or prepare and now after all this time are you ready to stand before the Lord? Or would you find yourself ill prepared, as I was on the day of my ACT exam?

The lord himself has spoken that only half the church members will be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment