Sunday, June 27, 2010

Law of undulation part 2

I have remembered a story from my life that I thought might be helpful in illustrating the concept of the earlier post.

When I was young I remember getting a nice red bike with training wheels. I was excited for these beautiful new toy and because it meant I was old enough to learn the ways of the big boy bike with training wheels. A highlight, even a peak in my young life. Then reality set in and I had to actually learn how to ride my new bike. For such a young boy the teetering height of the bike with it's two training wheels was scary and frustrating, but in time I was riding all over my neighborhood with my mom and friends.

It didn't seem to be much longer before my dad was suggesting I was even more grown up and the time had come to remove my training wheels and ride like the adults. I was excited to progress and become like everyone older than I, but then the weekend arrived that I was to learn without my training wheels. My dad removed the training wheels and held my bike as I jumped on. It was steady and firm in his grip as I started to peddle forward but suddenly it began to wobble and I panicked. I stepped on my brakes and my father asked what was wrong. I explainedthe bike felt like it would fall and this was too scary and followed with the request to have my training wheels put back on. He comforted me that he would stay by my side and I would learn how to balance my bike without the training wheels, so we tried it again and again with him letting go a little more with each try. Finally he let go completely and I wobbled forward feeling triumphant, until I began to lose control and fell. I as mad my dad let me go and that I fell and now was scrapped and hurt. He came running up as I was again in a low and ready not to continue learning. He urged me on and confirmed he would hold on and wouldn't let go until I was ready. So we began the process again.

In time I learned how to ride my bike without any help and with confidence, but it took my loving father's help and understanding that I needed him to hold and and then to let go so I could learn, even if it was hard, or it hurt when I fell, or even made me scared. This concept of undulation is the highs and lows all people experience just as I did in my process of learning to ride a bike. If we know how our father in heaven uses these times to teach us and draw closer to him, as well as avoid the pitfalls Satan lies before us then we will draw infinitely closer to heaven and our goal of eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment